|Paper title:|| An Unwilling Commitment: Trump's Foreign Policy Strategy in Central and Eastern Europe
|Published in:||Issue 1 (Vol. 26) / 2020
|Author(s):|| Murat Ülgül
|Abstract:|| Since his surprising election as President of the United States, in November 2016, Donald Trump's foreign policy sent shock waves around the world, especially in Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) where America's traditional allies felt uneasy about the "America First" strategy. Nevertheless, in spite of a nationalist president who has questioned America's leadership role in global affairs and his country's commitment to the protection of allies, the security cooperation between the United States and the CEE countries increased in the first three years of the Trump administration. The paper explains this continuity on the base of the American alternative foreign policy mindsets in the decision-making process. It is arguing that despite the president's opinions, those administration members who share a common, traditional understanding of American primacy in the world provided the continuity in American foreign policy in the CEE region by advocating for power competition against Russia. Therefore, the article shows that an individual-level analysis is more appropriate for understanding American foreign policy today than a state- and a system-level analyses.
|Keywords:|| Donald Trump, American foreign policy, Central and Eastern Europe, individual-level analysis, nationalism, traditionalism, organizational balancing.
|References:|| 1. Allison Graham T., Morton H. Halperin, Bureaucratic Politics: A Paradigm and Some Policy Implications, in "World Politics", 1972, Vol. 24, p. 40-79.
2. Anonymous, A Warning, New York, Twelve, 2019, e-book edition.
3. "The Associated Press" https://apnews.com/
4. "BBC" https://www.bbc.com/
5. Blackwill Robert D., Trump's Foreign Policies are Better than They Seem, in "Council on Foreign Relations", Report No. 84, 2019.
6. "CNBC" https://www.cnbc.com/
7. "CNN.com" https://edition.cnn.com/
8. Daalder Ivo H., Lindsay James M., The Empty Throne: America's Abdication of Global Leadership, New York, Public Affairs, 2018, e-book edition.
9. "Deutsche Welle" https://www.dw.com/en/
10. Donovan G. Murphy, National Security in the Trump Era: Business as Usual?, in "Small Wars Journal", https://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/national-security-in-the-trump-era-business-as-usual
11. Fitzgerald Frances, The Evangelicals: The Struggle to Shape America, New York, Simon & Schuster, 2017.
12. "The Guardian" https://www.theguardian.com/
13. Haley Nikki R., With All Due Respect: Defending America with Grit and Grace, New York, St. Martin's Press, 2019, e-book edition.
14. Hooper Melissa, Duda's Ego Trip, in https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/06/10/dudas-ego-trip/
15. Judson Jen, Poland's Aegis Ashore Delayed to 2022 with New Way Forward Coming Soon, in https://www.defensenews.com/smr/federal-budget/2020/02/18/polands-aegis-ashore-delayed-to-2022-with-new-way-forward-coming-soon/
16. Mix Derek E., Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania: Background and U.S.-Baltic Relations, in "Congressional Research Service", Report No. 46139, 2020.
17. Mix Derek E., Poland: Background and U.S. Relations, "Congressional Research Service", Report No. 45784, 2019.
18. Naylor Aliide, The Shadow in the East: Vladimir Putin and the New Baltic Front, New York, I.B. Tauris, 2020.
19. "NBC News" https://www.nbcnews.com/
20. "The New York Times" https://www.nytimes.com/
21. "NPR org" https://www.npr.org/
22. O'Brien Robert C., While America Slept: Restoring American Leadership to a World in Crisis, New York, Encounter Books, 2016.
23. On Secretary Tillerson's Upcoming Travel to Brussels, Belgium for the NATO Foreign Ministers Meeting, in https://www.state.gov/on-secretary-tillersons-upcoming-travel-to-brussels-belgium-for-the-nato-foreign-ministers-meeting/
24. Peace to Prosperity: A Vision to Improve the Lives of the Palestinian and Israeli People, in https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Peace-to-Prosperity-0120.pdf
25. "Politico" https://www.politico.com/
26. Pompeo Michael R., Crimea Declaration, in https://www.state.gov/crimea-declaration/
27. Pompeo Michael R., Crimea is Ukraine, in https://www.state.gov/crimea-is-ukraine-3/
28. "Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty" https://www.rferl.org/
29. Remarks at a UN Security Council Briefing on Ukraine, in https://usun.usmission.gov/remarks-at-a-un-security-council-briefing-on-ukraine/
30. Remarks by President Trump and Heads of the Baltic States in Joint Press Conference, in https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-heads-baltic-states-joint-press-conference/
31. Rhodes Matthew, The Trump Administration and the Balkans, in "Security Insights", 2017, No. 22.
32. Saldin Robert P., Steven M. Teles, Never Trump: The Revolt of the Conservative Elites, New York, Oxford University Press, 2020.
33. Seligman Lara, Gramer Robbie, Trump Asks Tokyo to Quadruple Payments for U.S. Troops in Japan, in https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/11/15/trump-asks-tokyo-quadruple-payments-us-troops-japan/.
34. Selimi Petrit, This is How Donald Trump Can Win in the Balkans, in https://nationalinterest.org/feature/how-donald-trump-can-win-balkans-31227
35. Snodgrass Guy M., Holding the Line: Inside Trump's Pentagon with Secretary Mattis, New York, Sentinel, 2019, e-book edition.
36. Tudoroiu Theodor, Brexit, President Trump, and the Changing Geopolitics of Eastern Europe, Cham, Palgrave Macmillan, 2018.
37. US Commits $1 Billion Dollars to Develop Central European Infrastructure, in https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/news/press-releases/us-commits-1-billion-dollars-to-develop-central-european-infrastructure/
38. "USA Today" https://www.usatoday.com/
39. "USNI News" https://news.usni.org/
40. Walt Stephen M., The Hell of Good Intentions: America's Foreign Policy Elite and the Decline of U.S. Primacy, New York, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2018.
41. "The Washington Post" https://www.washingtonpost.com/
42. Welt Cory, Ukraine: Background, Conflict with Russia, and U.S. Policy, "Congressional Research Service", Report No. 45008, 2020.
43. Wike Richard et al., Trump Ratings Remain Low Around Globe, While Views of U.S. Stay Mostly Favorable, in https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2020/01/08/trump-ratings-remain-low-around-globe-while-views-of-u-s-stay-mostly-favorable/
44. Wolff Michael, Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House, New York, Henry Holt and Company, 2018, e-book edition.
45. Woodward Bob, Fear: Trump in the White House, New York, Simon & Schuster, 2018.