|Paper title:|| Belarus’ Economic Relations with Ukraine and Russia. Trends, Dynamics, Challenges (2014-2021)
|Published in:||Issue 2 (Vol. 27) / 2021
|Author(s):|| Oksana Valion
|Abstract:|| The impact of the Russian-Ukrainian war in eastern Ukraine and the ongoing political crisis in Belarus were examined, as well as the key trends, forms, and features of Ukrainian-Belarusian and Belarusian-Russian economic cooperation in 2014–2021. The dynamics of foreign commerce, investment, production, and cooperation, as well as other elements that contributed to the development of the collaboration or slowed bilateral interaction, are given special emphasis. In the framework of contemporary events in Belarus, differences in foreign policy have aggravated Ukrainian-Belarusian interstate ties and accentuated the integrative tendency of Belarus-Russia relations.
|Keywords:|| Economic relations, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, Cooperation, Integration, Production, Investment, Political crisis, Trade.
|References:|| 1. Abramchuk N. (Ed.), Ekonomicheskoye razvitiye, T. 3 [Economic development, Vol. 3], in Respublika Belarus' – 25 let sozidaniya i sversheniy. V 7 t. [The Republic of Belarus – 25 years of creation and achievements. In 7 vol.], Minsk, “Belaruskaya navuka”, 2020, 795 s.
2. Aleksiievets Lesia, Valion Oksana, Trade and Economic Cooperation Between Ukraine and the Republic of Belarus: Historical Discourse (1991–2020), in “Ukrayinsʹkyi istorychnyy zhurnal” [Ukrainian historical journal], 2021, Ch. 4, p. 114-126.
3. Astapenya Grigoriy, Belorussko-rossiyskiye otnosheniya s perspektivy Minska: formal'-nyy soyuz i fakticheskaya dezintegratsiya, in “Nowa Polityka Wschodnia”, 2016, No. 2 (11), p. 43-56.
4. Bekus Nelly, Belarus’s Winding Path to a Post-Soviet Identity, in “Current History”, October 2019, p. 258-264.
5. Betliy Olena, Preiherman Yauheni, Audyt zovnishnʹoyi polityky Ukrayiny: Ukrayina – Bilorusʹ [Audit of Foreign Policy of Ukraine: Ukraine - Belarus], in “Dyskusiyna zapyska”, Kyiv, 2016, 55 s.
6. Borishpolets Kseniya, Chernyavskiy Stanislav, Rossiysko-belorusskiye otnosheniya: ugrozy real’nyye i mnimyye [Russian-Belarusian relations: real and imaginary threats], in “Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnyye otnosheniya”, 2012, No. 11, p. 57-63.
7. Boulègue Mathieu, Russia’s Assets and Liabilities in Belarus, November 18, 2020, 16 s., https://cepa.org/russias-assets-and-liabilities-in-belarus/
8. Bruce Chloë, Friction or Fiction? The Gas Factor in Russian–Belarusian Relations, Russia and Eurasia Programme, Rep BP, 05/01 May, 2005, 14 s., https://www.chathamhouse.org/sites/default/files/public/Research/Russia%20and%20 Eurasia/bp0501gas.pdf
9. Bykau Aliaksei, Vysotski Stanislau, What Belarus Produces, Exports, and Imports: Analyzing Trade in Value Added, in Bruno S. Sergi (Ed.), Entrepreneurship and Global Economic Growth, Vol. 1, Modeling Economic Growth in Contemporary Belarus, Bingley, Emerald Publishing Limited, 2020, p. 235-248.
10. Danilchenko Alexei, Bertosh Elena, Artsemyeu Pavel, Osipov Roman, Foreign In-vestments and TNCs, in Bruno S. Sergi (Ed.), Entrepreneurship and Global Economic Growth, Vol. 1, Modeling Economic Growth in Contemporary Belarus, Bingley, Emerald Publishing Limited, 2020, p. 249-267.
11. Demichev Dmitriy, Torgovo-ekonomicheskiye otnosheniya Respubliki Belarus’ i Ukrainy, in “Ekonomicheskiy zhurnal”, 2000, No.4, p. 75-83.
12. Evans J. Anthony, Tse Terence, A strategic plan for the East Belarus mechanical engineering cluster, in “International Journal of Competitiveness”, Vol. 1, No. 3, 2018, p. 221-237.
13. Hansbury Paul, Domestic Constraints on Foreign Policy Change in Belarus, in “Jour-nal of Belarusian Studies”, 2021, Vol. 11, Issue 1, p. 27-55 https://brill.com/view/journals/bela/11/1/article-p27_3.xml
14. Ioffe Grigory, Belarusian-Russian Economic Dependency and Trade Wars: Is There a Contradiction?, Оctober 25, 2021, https://jamestown.org/program/belarusian-russian-economic-dependency-and-trade-wars-is-there-a-contradiction
15. Ioffe Grigory, Europe’s Sanctions and Belarus: A Hammer and the Nail, July 7, 2021, https://jamestown.org/program/europes-sanctions-and-belarus-a-hammer-and-the-nail
16. Liu Zhigao, Dunford Michael, Weidong Liu, Coupling national geopolitical economic strategies and the Belt and Road Initiative: The China-Belarus Great Stone Industrial Park, in “Political Geography”, Vol. 84, January 2021, p. 1-13.
17. Maksak Hennadiy, Ukrayna i Belarusʹ v novykh realyyakh: mezhdu bezopasnostʹyu y ékonomykoy. Analitychnyy dokument Rady zovnishnʹoyi polityky [Ukraine and Belarus in new realities: between security and economy. Analytical document of the Foreign Policy Council], in “Ukrayinsʹka pryzma” [Ukrainian Prism], Berezenʹ 2016, http://prismua.org/ua/belarus-ua
18. Maksak Hennadiy, Yurchak Denis, Sotrudnichestvo Respubliki Belarus’ i Ukrainy v novykh geopoliticheskikh usloviyakh [Cooperation of the Republic of Belarus and Ukraine in the new geopolitical conditions], Minsk, 2014, 40 s.
19. Nahaylo Bohdan, Escalating Belarus border crisis could pose a security threat to Ukraine, November 15, 2021, https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/ukrainealert/ escalating-belarus-border-crisis-could-pose-a-security-threat-to-ukraine/
20. Nixey James, Belarus Policy: Time to Play Hardball, August 12, 2020, www.chathamhouse.org/2020/08/belarus-policy-time-play-hardball
21. Parkhimenka Uladzimir, Future of the Belarusian IT Sector: From IT Outsourcing to Industry 4.0?, in Bruno S. Sergi (Ed.), Entrepreneurship and Global Economic Growth, Vol. 1, Modeling Economic Growth in Contemporary Belarus, Bingley, Emerald Publishing Limited, 2020, p. 41-62.
22. Pranevich Alla, Shkutsko Aksana, Foreign Economic Policy of Belarus: Integration and Multivector, in Bruno S. Sergi (Ed.), Entrepreneurship and Global Economic Growth, Vol. 1, Modeling Economic Growth in Contemporary Belarus, Bingley, Emerald Publishing Limited, 2020, p. 323-340.
23. Preiherman Yaugeni, Maksak Hennadiy, Belorussko-ukrainskiye otnosheniya v kon-tekste vnutripoliticheskogo krizisa v Belarusi [Belarusian-Ukrainian relations in the context of the internal political crisis in Belarus], Kiev, Dekabr', 2020, 22 s.
24. Selivanova Irina, Ekonomicheskaya intesratsiya Rossii i Belorussii i yeye vliyaniye na razvitiye narodnogo khozyaystva Belorussii [Economic integration of Russia and Belarus and its influence on the development of the national economy of Belarus], “Belorussiya i Rossiya - obshchestva i gosudarstva”, 1998, https://www.yabloko.ru/Themes/Belarus/ belarus-25.html
25. Shevtsov Yuriy, Ob’yedinennaya Natsiya. Fenomen Belarusi [United Nation. The phenomenon of Belarus], Minsk: Izdatel’stvo “Yevropa”, 2005, 256 s.
26. Shimov Vladimir, Bykau Aliaksei, Khvalko Tatyana, Economic Growth in Belarus: Analysis, Forecasts, and Scenarios, in Bruno S. Sergi (Ed.), Entrepreneurship and Global Economic Growth, Vol. 1, Modeling Economic Growth in Contemporary Belarus, Bingley, Emerald Publishing Limited, 2020, p. 307-321.
27. Shurubovich Aleksey, Tendentsii i problem rossiysko-belorusskikh ekonomicheskikh otnosheniy: Nauchnyy doklad [Trends and problems of Russian-Belarusian economic relations: Scientific report], Moskva: Institut ekonomiki RAN, 2017, 60 s.
28. Shutsilin Vyacheslav, Filiptsou Andrey, Vashkevich Yuliya, Industrial Development, Structural Changes, and Industrial Policy in Belarus, in Bruno S. Sergi (Ed.), Entrepreneurship and Global Economic Growth, Vol. 1, Modeling Economic Growth in Contemporary Belarus, Bingley, Emerald Publishing Limited, 2020, p. 63-72.
29. Sivitski Arseny, Tsarik Yuriy, Belarus’ v YEAES: god spustya [Belarus in the EAEU: a year later], Minsk: Tsentr strategicheskiy i vneshnepoliticheskikh issledovaniy, Minsk, 2016, 18 s. http://csfps.by/files/belarus_in_the_eaec.pdf
30. Socor Vladimir, Lukashenka Says No to Russian Military Base and Deeper Integration With Russia, August 24, 2021, https://jamestown.org/program/lukashenka-says-no-to-russian-military-base-and-deeper-integration-with-russia
31. The prospect of Union between Russia and Belarus, in "Strategic Comments", 2019, Vol. 25, No. 2, p. IV-VI, https://doi.org/10.1080/13567888.2019.1601444
32. Tsarik Yuriy, Sivitski Arseny, Savkov Nikita, Belarus’ – Kitay: dostizheniya, problemy i perspektivy strategicheskogo partnerstva [Belarus – China: achievements, problems and prospects of strategic partnership], Minsk: Tsentr strategicheskiy i vneshnepoliticheskikh issledovaniy, 2020, 24 s.
33. Valion Oksana, Bilorusʹ: sotsialʹno-ekonomichni aspekty rozvytku (kin. 80-kh rr. XX – poch. XXI st.) [Belarus: socio-economic aspects of development (late 80's of 20th – early 21st century)], Ternopilʹ, Aston, 2014, 274 s.
34. Valion Oksana, Interstate cooperation of Ukraine and the Republic of Belarus at the present stage: a trade-economic aspect, in “Ukrayina-Yevropa-Svit” [Ukraine-Europe-World], Ternopilʹ: TNPU im. V. Hnatyuka, 2019, Issue 22, p. 23-32.
35. Vasylchenko Anastasiia, Transit potential of Republic of Belarus: current state and development prospects, in "SHS Web of Conferences", No. 67, 2019, https://www.shs-conferences.org/articles/shsconf/pdf/2019/08/shsconf_NTI-UkrSURT2019_02011.pdf
36. Vasylyshyn Stepan, Ukrayinsʹko-bilorusʹki vidnosyny (1991–2014 rr.), Dys. kand. is-tor. nauk: spets. 07.00.02 “Vsesvitnya istoriya”, Ternopilʹ, 2019, 298 s.
37. Wierzbowska-Miazga Agata, Wsparcie drogą do podporządkowania. Rosja wobec Białorusi [Support as a way to compliance. Russia towards Belarus], No. 34, Warszawa, Maj 2013, 32 s., https://www.osw.waw.pl/pl/publikacje/punkt-widzenia/2013-05-06/wsparcie-droga-do-podporzadkowania-rosja-wobec-bialorusi
38. Wilson Andrew, Belarus Wants Out, March 20, 2014, www.foreignaffairs.com/ articles/belarus/2014-03-20/belarus-wants-out
39. Yasko Lisa, Belarus dictator poses growing threat to Ukraine, September 14, 2021, https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/ukrainealert/belarus-dictator-poses-growing-threat-to-ukraine
40. Yurchak Denis, Belarus’ – Ukraina: 20 let mezhgosudarstvennykh otnosheniy [Be-larus - Ukraine: 20 years of interstate relations], Vitebsk: UO “VGU im. P. M. Masherova”, 2012, 280 s.
41. Yurchak Denis, Belorussko-ukrainskiye otnosheniya v 1991–2017 gg. [Belarusian-Ukrainian relations in 1991–2017], in “Post-sovetskiye issledo-vaniya” [Post-Soviet Studies], 2018, T. 1, No. 1, p. 79-89.
42. Żochowski Piotr, Iwański Tadeusz, Ukraine-Belarus: a spiralling crisis, June 14, 2021, https://www.osw.waw.pl/en/publikacje/analyses/2021-06-14/ukraine-belarus-a-spiralling-crisis
43. Zosymenko Tetyana, Ukrayina-Bilorusʹ. Analitychnyy dokument Rady zovnishnʹoyi polityky [Ukraine-Belarus. Analytical document of the Foreign Policy Council], in “Ukrayinsʹka pryzma”, Sichenʹ 2021, http://prismua.org/ukraine-belarus .