|Paper title:||Educational Aspects of Slavic Charitable Societies Activity in the 19th – Early 20th Centuries (Saints Cyril and Methodius Slavic Charitable Society of Odesa)
|Published in:||Issue 1 (Vol. 28) / 2022
|Abstract:|| The study examines the educational activities of Slavic Charitable Societies, namely Saints Cyril and Methodius Slavic Charitable Society of Odesa, using source analysis and historiographical literature. The society was founded in Odesa in 1870 to assist southern and western Slavs who had become stranded in the southern region due to various circumstances. According to the Statute, the main activity was focused on educational matters. The society opened the Slavic reading room with a library and awarded special scholarships to the Slavs studying at Novorossiysk University in Odesa. A special educational institution for Slavic girls was later created. Educational activities included the establishment of free libraries as well as organising concerts, theatre performances, public readings, and Sunday classes.
|Keywords:|| Charity, Slavic societies, educational activities, Odesa, Saints Cyril and Methodius Society.
|References:|| 1. Bilousova Lilya, Natsionalʹni tovarystva v Odesi v XIX – na pochatku XX st. [National societies in Odesa in the 19th– early 20th centuries], in “Ukrayinsʹkyy istorychnyy zhurnal” [Ukrainian historical journal], 2017, № 2, s. 46-63.
2. Gedyo Anna, Rolʹ konsulʹsʹkykh ustanov u rozvytkovi dobrochynnosti v Odesi (seredyna ХІХ – pochatok ХХ ст.) [The role of consular offices in the development of charity in Odesa (late 19th – early 20th centuries)], in “Naukovyy visnyk Dyplomatychnoyi akademiyi Ukrayiny” [Scientific Bulletin of the Diplomatic Academy of Ukraine], Vol. 24, 2017, No. 1, s. 163-170.
3. Grebtsova Irena S., Stanovleniye gosudarstvennogo popechitel'stva i obshchestvennoy blagotvoritel'nosti v Odesse v kontse XVIII – 60-ye gg. XIX st. [Formation of state guardianship and public charity in Odesa in the late 18th - 60's 19th century], Оdesa, Astroprint, 2006, 320 s.
4. Guzenko Yuri, Stanovlennya i diyalʹnistʹ hromadsʹkykh blahodiynykh obʺyednanʹ na Pivdni Ukrayiny v druhiy polovyni XIX – na pochatku XX st. (na materialakh Khersonsʹkoyi huberniyi) [The formation and activities of public charities on the territory of the southern Ukraine in the late 19th – early 20th centuries (on the materials of Kherson province)], Mykolayiv, Ilion, 2006, 232 s.
5. Karvatsky Yuri, Gorodskaya auditoriya dlya narodnykh chteniy v Odesse [City audito-rium for public readings in Odesa], Оdesa, 1895, 46 s.
6. Kotsiuk Volodimir, Profesor O. Kotlyarevsʹkyy ta Kyyivsʹke Slovʺyansʹke blahodiyne to-varystvo u 70-kh rokakh XIX st. [Professor O. Kotlyarevsky and Slavic Charitable Society of Kyiv in the 70s of the 19th century], in “Visnyk Kam'yanetsʹ-Podilʹsʹkoho natsionalʹnoho universytetu imeni Ivana Ohiyenka: Istorychni nauky” [Bulletin of Kamyanets-Podilsky National University named after Ivan Ogienko: Historical Sciences], 2008, №1, s. 73-79.
7. MacKenzie David, The Serbs and Russian Pan-Slavism, 1875-1878, Ithaca – New York, Cornell University Press, 1967, 365 p.
8. Moiseieva Tetiana, Odesʹke slov'yansʹke tovarystvo imeni svyatykh Kyryla ta Mefodiya: formuvannya zasad diyalʹnosti [Saints Cyril and Methodius Slavic Charitable Society of Odesa: formation of principles of activity], in “Visnyk Odesʹkoho istoryko-krayeznavchoho muzeyu” [Bulletin of the Odessa Museum of History and Local Lore], 2011, vol. 10, s. 203-206.
9. Muzychko Olexander, Odesʹke slov'yansʹke blahochynne tovarystvo imeni svyatykh Ky-ryla ta Mefodiya: osnovni etapy diyalʹnosti [Saints Cyril and Methodius Slavic Charitable Society of Odesa: main stages of activity], in “Problemy slov'yanoznavstva” [Problems of Slavic studies], Lviv, 2007, vol. 56, s. 311-312.
10. Nikitin Sergey, Slavyanskiye komitety v Rossii. 1858-1878 [Slavic Committees in Russia. 1858–1878], Moscow, Izdatel'stvo Moscow university, 1960, 364 s.
11. Norman Davies, Europe: A History, Oxford – New York, Oxford University Press, 1996, 1365 p.
12. Popovkin Aleksey, Deyatel'nost' slavyanskikh obshchestv v Rossii v kontekste sotsi-al'nogo razvitiya slavyanskikh narodov (1858 – 1917) [The activities of Slavic societies in Russia in the context of the social development of the Slavic peoples (1858 – 1917)], in “Vestnik Tambovskogo universiteta. Seriya: Gumanitarnyye nauki” [Bulletin of Tambov University. Series: Humanitarian sciences], Vol. 6 (110), 2012, s. 234-247.
13. Syniavsky Anton, Dmytro Syharevych. Vybrani pratsi [Dmytro Sygarevych. Selected works], Kyiv: Naukova dumka, 1993, 320 s.
14. Terzić Slavenko, About eastern and western Panslavism (in the 19th and the begin-ning of the 20th century), in “Istorijskiy chasopis” [Нistorical Review], 2006, vol. LIII, p. 317-332.